Author Topic: lake district  (Read 53703 times)

blue2222

lake district
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:27:36 PM »
 decided to have wee tour around the lake district couple of days last week we ended up going up through hardknott pass in cumbria apart from being breath taking, it test your skills as a rider specaily 2 up well worth visit ......... :thumbsup:

Jeni4

Re: lake district
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
blue,

My partner and I will be taking a trip down to the lakes in a fortnights time.  Any other routes we should try and do you know of any good b&b accommodation in the area?

Cheers

Jen

old git

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »
Depends where you want to base yourself Jenni - last time we were up there we stayed in Bowness on Windermere and stopped in a very traditional but good value B@B called the Broadlands they have a website. As far as roads concerned - well I think Lakes are totally different to (say) west Scotland - so be prepared for slow twisty and sometimes quite difficult roads - can be narrow, hilly and often meet buses and caravans coming the other way.

We exited the lakes heading north via the A592 Penrith road and you could come in on that if you are coming down M6 - if so its all of the above and includes the Kirkstone Pass which is also "interesting". For quick entry to the lakes use the A66 from Penrith and then branch off to where you decide to go or you could come off at Carlisle and run down the A595 to the West Lakes area.
Personally I like Coniston area as a base - but Ambleside is pretty central.

Next to Hard Knott is Wrynose Pass  - also a challenge.  :icon_pale:

Have a good time.
 :thumbsup:

Jason

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:39:52 PM »
I stayed in Keswick nice central location, http://www.salisburyguesthouse.com/index.html Scott the owner is a biker plus there was off road parking for bikes  :thumbsup: we were the first gusets they had back in Aug 2008 and are planning to go back this year  :icon_sunny:

DCB40

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
Welcome to my backyard.

The lake district has some nice roads, but are usually pretty congested most of the summer by people who are lost  :laughing7:
Plenty of B and Bs everywhere, but best to book in advance.
Penrith is a nice central place to stay, with keswick/ambleside to the west and Hartside Pass with the highest cafe in england to the east.
The roads are tricky as previously mentioned so just relax take your time and enjoy, and don't forget your camera :icon_sunny:

Jason

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »
Yes the traffic tends to be very slow (oap drivers) and the passes can become very slippy if wet but some great views  :occasion14:

Jeni4

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 07:22:01 AM »
Cheers for the suggestions folks, I'll have a look online just now.  I've also just been told I must do:

WINDERMERE - PENRITH - along the A592
KESWICK - COCKERMOUTH - along the B5289
COCKERMOUTH - BROUGHTON IN FURNESS - along the A595
BROUGHTON IN FURNESS - AMBLESIDE along the A593

so I've got plenty of info to look through today - gonna be a busy one  :laughing7:

I have had a look for B&B's but there's so bloody many of them that I thought I'd ask the folks in the know haha 

Cheers again  :thumbsup:

DCB40

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
 i couldn't recommend the cockermouth to broughton in furness road, it is the major road in these parts and carries a lot of traffic, with not much to see.
I'm not sure if you mean nice roads as in ' get your knee down with smooth flowing tarmac' , or roads with great views. there are plenty of the latter but not much of the former ( think thats the right way round).
Keep off the main routes as they are always busy because this is the countryside and there aren't many other options for commercial traffic, so i say try the back roads  :occasion14:

Jeni4

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
DCB40 - No worries, any advice is helpful.  :thumbsup:  I'm just looking for some nice roads that have a bit of scenery to em and some nice stopping points (cup of tea and a sticky bun are a must  :laughing7:)... nowt too fast tho as the only time my knee has been down is when my elbow and head followed haha. The other half and I will sit down at the weekend and plan routes and find accommodation  :icon_cheers:

PERCY

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:56:39 PM »
Best view in the lakes is from the end of Wastwater from nether wasdale end (just get off by the hostel and have a walk to the lakes edge. Awesome). Follow the lake to the end and there's a nice walkers pub that does food.

Simmo

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:56 PM »
Good to see you back Percy  :occasion14:

I'm hoping to get up to the Lakes District later this year on my bike.  Last time I went in the car in 2007 it rained all week  :cussing:

Einstein36uk

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »

"Last time I went in the car in 2007 it rained all week"  :cussing:

That's how the lakes got there...   :P  :laughing7:

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »

Yeah.  There were so many cars going round that it dug up massive holes that filled with water. :icon_scratch:

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »

Yeah.  There were so many cars going round that it dug up massive holes that filled with water. :icon_scratch:

Even in prehistoric times it was ALWAYS the fault of the neanderthal behind the wheel...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester

Simmo

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
That's why there isn't a hosepipe ban in the Lake District  :laughing7:

There isn't one in the South West either ... it's been raining virtually all week ... not good for biking  :cussing:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »
Im contemplating a 2 or 3 day jooly up to the Lakes at the end of July if anybdy is interested  :occasion14:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »
Could do a day out if its a weekend, or an overnight maybe.. We have our 2 weeks off in August this year..
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

Einstein36uk

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:05 PM »
Im contemplating a 2 or 3 day jooly up to the Lakes at the end of July if anybdy is interested  :occasion14:

Camping?  :icon_pale: :laughing7:

MLC

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
I'd be up for it!!  :thumbsup:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »
Camping sounds good..if people are interested then we can cobble something together im sure  :thumbsup:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
If it's over Sat/Sun i'll camp no bother, campsite next to a pub? :) Love riding in the lake district..

Wasted_ace

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
Sounds good Andy...just got to whip up a bit of interest amongst the troops both here and on my own forum  :icon_salut: :occasion14:

Einstein36uk

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 12:12:32 AM »
Quite fancy this - end of July is good for me  :thumbsup:

So that's already 4 of us then  :headbang:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:44 AM »
Nice one Dave..im sure Mrs Shouty is away the last weekend of July thus leaving me with a weekend of freedom  :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
How many nights out are we thinking of ? ..2-3..we could do a couple of days in the Lakes then a day across the Yorkshire Dales and Moors..a kind of Coast to Coast on Two wheels  :laughing7: :laughing7:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
Maybe just the one for me, Saturday night, no holidays left to take :(

Last weekend in July is good for me, just checked.. I can get over early, hook up for your Saturday ride, camp, then take it from there.. I know most of the best roads in the Yorkshire Dales if you fancy your tour ride Mart.. :icon_cheers:

I could stay Sunday night too if we're fairly close to home, say the Yorkshire Dales, as I could pack up and get home before work in the afternoon.. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:41:41 PM by ajacko »

Einstein36uk

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 06:27:28 PM »
I could prob get a monday off which could work well you Andy. Maybe travel up real early Sat am Martin and home on the Monday after we wave farewell to our more northerly members? As we're all from different corners of the uk, I imagine we'd settle on a common meeting place somewhere north of Birmingham  :thumbsup:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »
Or even further North so I could have a lie in :headbang: Somewhere in the Peak District, Matlock Bath maybe, see a famous bike meet location..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:20:46 PM by ajacko »

MLC

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
I reckon I'd be able to manage the Mon off and an earlyish start on Sat would be good - best place for me to meet up would be somewhere north of Warrington rather than heading south then back north - what sort of route would you be following day 1 to get to the lakes - scenic or motorway??

Einstein36uk

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
I reckon I'd be able to manage the Mon off and an earlyish start on Sat would be good - best place for me to meet up would be somewhere north of Warrington rather than heading south then back north - what sort of route would you be following day 1 to get to the lakes - scenic or motorway??

I would probably opt for the Motorway although I normally avoid them - Being from "dan sarf" it would take me too long on A's & B's. If there is a scenic route in for the last leg though, I'm all for it.

We can arrange several pickup points on route - will need to stretch my legs at some point  :thumbsup: