Author Topic: lake district  (Read 52463 times)

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Re: lake district
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2012, 07:39:29 PM »
How about one of these bad boys?
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
Hope they don't want a deposit when we book so if it's wet we can pull out.. :headbang:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
Just spotted on the pub website..they do camping there..dirt cheap by the sound of it  :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »
The site is right in the middle of the Lake District, its a right old ride round for me getting home Monday for work, gonna have to get up at 6 to get home in time lol

MLC

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Don't be making too much noise then!! :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:22 PM »
Would be better to get one in the south east, between Kendal and Lake Windermere area, still do Marts tour route but easier to get out of the Lake District come leaving time. Also less distance to cover on day one.. Just tipping in with ideas folks.. :)

Wasted_ace

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »
Wasdale is in the heart of where we want to be mate..right in the guts of the mountains and away from the normal touristy traps of caravans and gangs of pissheads  :icon_salut: :occasion14:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:53 AM »
Don't be making too much noise then!! :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
I might rent a GS for this.. :D

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »
Let me know when we are planning for I will be digging out the equipment from the back of the shed this weekend so fingers crossed everything will be fine
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
Some bikers ride some prehistoric motorcycles over the very challenging Hardknott Pass..

Warning, there is a small bit of swearing near the start, it's only because the rider had never been over hills like this before ... he lives in Swindon where it's relatively flat.
  :laughing7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKx26y13hoI

Watch those wet bumpy hairpins guys..

Wasted_ace

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
Let me know when we are planning for I will be digging out the equipment from the back of the shed this weekend so fingers crossed everything will be fine

Ian..plan is to head up well early on 28/07 Saturday morning..should arrive at the pub campsite mid afternoon..gives us a chance to set up base and have a small bimble around.
Hit the pub on the evening for scoff and a few beers.
Sunday would be a great circular ride taking in the best that the Lake District can throw at us.
Back to base for a well deserved night on the beer..
Monday would be a pack up camp and be ready for the off by Lunchtime..some will head home or in my case i will extend my trip with another day or two heading into the Yorkshire Dales and over the moors towards the coast  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:10:41 PM by Wasted_ace »

Einstein36uk

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
Due to me having just had my working hours cut, I am now in in a position to travel Friday afternoon. Might as well make the most of it if they ain't feckin paying me! :thefinger: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Simmo

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:46 PM »
Warning, there is a small bit of swearing near the start, it's only because the rider had never been over hills like this before ... he lives in Swindon where it's relatively flat.
Wonder it he took the wrong exit off the roundabout and discovered the Lake District by accident  :laughing7: :laughing7:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »
Due to me having just had my working hours cut, I am now in in a position to travel Friday afternoon. Might as well make the most of it if they ain't feckin paying me! :thefinger: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Not going to finish work till late Dave so no way i can make a start on a Friday..so an early Saturday run up to the LD for me..im booking the following week as a Holiday so i can take my time up there and head back when i please..or run out of Cider tokens  :laughing7: :laughing7:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »
The best business sense would be for Me ans Simmsy to head up the M5 and meet up with Dave ( if he goes Sat) and Ian G at Frankley services..we then all head up to the LD together and meet up with Andy and MLC on route   :icon_salut:

Simmo

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:21 PM »
The best business sense would be for Me ans Simmsy to head up the M5
A re-run of RTTW 2010.  We'll be North of Birmingham in time for breakfast  :occasion14:
The Olympics will have just started as we leave so I'm looking forward to escaping from all the hype that is strangling the nation  :cussing:

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
Well looks like we had a visitor in our shed the little b*stard had a fondness for my camping gear so am currently looking for a new tent should have one in time for this will definatly need to leave Sunday because of the olympics (no time off) hopefully after the sunday run if it starts early enough (approx 11) obviously depending on everyones hangover

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
After a bit of advice on light weight camping as I know I cant take my usual gear as most of it is too big

Currently got the following that I think will work as they are
Small 3 man tent
roll mat
battery lamp
Small cutlery/pan set
collapsible water bottle

Will get a single burner but what else should I get for bike camping kit also I normally take some grub in a 30l cooler but this will be too big for the bike so does anyone take some grub with them or just get it when you arrive

Einstein36uk

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:04 AM »
I eat in the pub  :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Wasted_ace

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »
Like Dave said Ian..evening and afternoon grub we will probably get in the pubs or cafes on the afternoons and definately evenings..as for brekkie..i will take a good stock of bacon,eggs & beans for the morning and cook em up imn the mornings outside the tent..will take tea/sugar sticks and milk..always room for a cuppa when loitering around the tent.
Small camping Gaz micro burner
Mess tins and assorted diggers
Plastic cup
Two Man Tent
Inflatable Backpackers air bed
Sleeping Bag
Torch
Small First Aid Kit
Good supply of clothes packed in bin liners.  :icon_salut:

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Cheers thats along the lines I was thinking

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
If i'm 'light' camping, usually site hopping to cover a lot of ground, it means i'm riding with all my gear all the time, so I want it as light as possible, just got the new lighter tent as regular one a bit too heavy at 5kgs.. I used to have a lighter one but it was a cheapo so gave it away..

Tent
Self inflating roll mat
sleeping bag
tooth brush and small tube of paste, travel size shower gel and the smallest towel I can get away with.
Socks and boxers for each day (maybe a T shirt too, if travelling with others.. :laugh:)
Magazine to read
Head light, for putting up tent in dark, light once it's up, emergency work on the bike at night etc. (Don't underestimate the usefulness of a head light, they are multi-purpose and earn their space on any camping trip on a bike, (in spite of looking a bit of a twat).
Spare gloves
Waterproofs (if in leathers)

And that's usually it.. No cooking stuff, no stove, I just get up and ride to the nearest cafe or supermarket with a cafe and have breakfast there.. I'd consider the stove and kettle, mug, tea and sugar if i'm planning to be at the tent for some time throughout the day, like this trip for example.. But otherwise, if you're just opening your eyes and packing up to get moving, it's just dead weight..

If i'm not touring and using the camp as a base only, where I can do my riding and leave stuff behind to return to at days end i'll add the following:

Double airbed (for comfort)
Electric pump, works off bike battery
Stove and kettle for tea (definitely)
Spare clothes, pair of jeans, pair of trainers etc. for evening pub visits.
Camping Gaz light, with spare cannister.

Maybe a frying pan, plate, and small saucepan for food, knife, fork etc. But on my last trip to Wales I didn't use any of it, I almost always find it easier to stop somewhere while i'm out for a meal, you can always find somewhere that's good value, supermarket cafes are a favourite, just incorporate a fuel stop with a supermarket cafe at some point in the middle of the day, or a good old chippy.. :) In the main I find anything more than just tea making facilities a waste of weight, as I always seem to eat while out and never use anything other than the kettle. Pot Noodles are the devils shit and i'd rather starve.

Hope this helps.

Wasted_ace

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2012, 07:09:50 AM »
OK we need to swing this one into action and get some definates.
Ideally we need to book a camping pitch way ahead as i would imagine the pub at Wasdale will be popular..plus the school holidays will have begun..
If i know how many are going then i will phone the pub and try and book us all in..if they want a deposit then we will all have to book seperatley so i would then suggest we all do it on the same day to ensure we all get in.  :icon_salut:
Long term forecast is saying that late July could be above average temps and a bit of a heatwave..but we all know the weather goons are full of shit  :la: :laughing7:

Einstein36uk

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »
I'm in  :headbang:

MLC

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
And me - probably with son tagging along - 1 tent either way.  :occasion14:
Sat and Sun nights.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:12:22 PM by MLC »

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
Yeah, i'm in.. Saturday and Sunday nights.. If you like Mart I can just send you a bank transfer for the cost of booking before you make it..

Just been playing with your Sunday route Mart  :headbang: http://g.co/maps/bz925 It's your baby though, just trying to get more miles in, after all, we start and finish in the Lakes and we have all day, live to ride.. :laugh: It's only 5.5 hours riding on my extended route..

Also, maybe consider doing the route in reverse, getting Hardknott Pass in first, it's one tricky road and perhaps best done fresh and not at the end of a days riding.. Just suggestions mate, nothing is far from anything else up there.. :thumbsup:

Or, how about getting the Kielder Forest in too? http://g.co/maps/4wuzz :headbang: :headbang:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:13:31 AM by ajacko »

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
Yeah, i'm in.. Saturday and Sunday nights.. If you like Mart I can just send you a bank transfer for the cost of booking before you make it..

+1 as had a word with the boss and can have Monday off now

Wasted_ace

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
Just waiting on Simmsy and we will have a good half dozen compliment..the perfect number.. if Simmo gets back to me before the weekend then i will give the pub a ring and book us all in for Sat/Sun night and get a price  :occasion14: :icon_salut: