Author Topic: Good Places to Ride to.  (Read 2412 times)

Ricardoric

Good Places to Ride to.
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »
After Sunday's great ride to Radcott I thought it might be nice to have a thread (Jason maybe even its own Sub-Forum?) where we can post places that we have been to and enjoyed so that others who may want a ride-out could visit knowing that they would be welcome as bikers and also have a good meal etc.

To kick things off Debbie and I found a great little pub in Hampshire.

Yew Tree, Lower Wield, Hampshire http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/pub/view/Yew-Tree-SO24-9RX

The food is excellent, the pub a little gem, and the roads around there are very nice to ride. It lies between Basingstoke and Alton off the A339 which is a good biking road (although the top part has a lot of solids as it twists and turns). The food was very reasonably priced and they have their own ale named after the pub!

The landlord also won the Good Pub Guide Landlord of the Year 2010.

Highly Recommended.  :thumbsup:

Jason

Re: Good Places to Ride to.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »
your wish is granted  :icon_salut:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:01 PM »
Following something Tazdaver posted on a local rideouts forum it appears that 7 of the countries 10 most dangerous roads are in the Peak District, which is on my doorstep. I've since been out and ridden 6 of them in one afternoon, they are some of the best biking roads in the region (naturally) and one of them is the legendary A537 Buxton to Macclesfield road, The Cat and Fiddle. Best not ridden in the dead of night while on your own, fall off that baby and no one will see you for days..
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

Simmsy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
Swindon  :headbang: :thumbsup: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Einstein36uk

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

Jeni4

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »
My faves- A85, A82 and A83 in good ol' Scotland.  :icon_thumright:

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
B3227 Wiveliscombe to Great Torrington together with the amazing switchback section which feels like you hit the bottom of a lift shaft in a couple of places.  This may not appeal to Ace because it has mucho corners but I love it 'cos they're fast corners.

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »
I think it's something about how it feels when you get the line inch perfect and the exit under power pulls the bike upright all on its own.  Everyone is different so here's to life's infinite variety or some such  :bs:  :icon_thumright:

Simmsy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
I think it's something about how it feels when you get the line inch perfect and the exit under power pulls the bike upright all on its own.  
Any road can be a good road when "it all comes together"  :thumbsup:
I commute along the same route to / from work everyday, and sometimes I am wrestling the bike about to get it around the bends  :icon_pale: :cussing: ... but sometimes it can be so effortless.  :icon_sunny:

It often depends on what side I get out of bed :dontknow: :icon_scratch:  :laughing7:

Good road observation skills, planning and co-ordination of the controls can make the difference between a good ride and a bad one ... but when combined with a "good" road makes it even better  :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:18:21 PM by Simmsy »

sp00n

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »
My fav places (in the 3 months i have been riding):-

Seaways cafe
Fimber park
willingham woods

will add more as i go

Taz

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 02:46:58 AM »
My fav places (in the 3 months i have been riding):-

Seaways cafe
Fimber park
willingham woods

will add more as i go

give me a shout if you want next time you are at Willingham woods, will take you over the Caistor high street (do not be put off by high street) its 14 miles of fast sweeping bends, the B1225 from where it leaves the A631 to baumber unless you have already ridden the road then on to mablethorpe to the seaview cafe that welcome bikers with open arms and a great breakfast at a good price 8)