Author Topic: Ouch! (Comedy drop!)  (Read 2567 times)

adsteventon

Ouch! (Comedy drop!)
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Re: Ouch! (Comedy drop!)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
That is unfortunate, however nothing like a pair of soft, self repairing limbs to take the hit and save you money.. I had a bike fall on me once, no damage as it never even got to the floor, I considered myself very lucky it landed on me, strange isn't it. Anything else falling and you'd consider yourself lucky to have managed to get out of the way..
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

adsteventon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Anything else falling and you'd consider yourself lucky to have managed to get out of the way..

Taz

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
if you cannot fine a cover try http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Suzuki/GSX650F/2010.aspx and put a casing over the damage

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
Or you could leave it like mine with the battle scars showing  ;)
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

PeterGSX

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
Or you could leave it like mine with the battle scars showing  ;)
I would leave it as it is. Bikes do have two wheels only, they tend to fall if not controlled at all times, sooner or later it will fall again, then your damage doubles. I covered mine with hi vis stickers waiting for another drop. The 1st one happened at around 6k, I'm at 9,200 and the 2nd one's time of coming is still unknown. I'm glad you're OK! :)

old git

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
Hard luck mate - dropped my 1250 recently and managed to get leg out of the way and step off/roll away. R@G's paid for them self as no damage.

Simmsy

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »
I managed to lift it off me on my own ... It was a lot easier than I expected
Sorry to hear about the drop  :(    Well done for picking it up  ::) ... Do you eat 3 Shreddie Wheat for breakfast each day ?  ;)  I've dropped mine twice and struggled to pick the bike up again ... it's a heavy beast.

Both times I dropped mine were when doing a U-turn.  The 1st time was on a slight uphill incline.  As the bike came around I put out my leg on the down hill side and then realised that the ground on the down hill side was further away as I felt the bike begin to fall over.  Fortunately one of the locals mowing his lawn helped me pick it up  :)

The 2nd time was when was practicing the tighest turn I could do after the above event ... it was enevitable how I would find out  :-[  There was no one around to help me pick it up the bike and I nearly put my back out lifting the bike up  :o

Fortunately I had fitted R&G crash bungs by the 2nd time so no damage to the bike ... phew  After the first time I to got a small scratch to the engine cover and a broken front brake lever ... I was lucky  :D

dspedersen

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:44:57 PM »
I managed to lift it off me on my own ... It was a lot easier than I expected
Sorry to hear about the drop  :(    Well done for picking it up  ::) ... Do you eat 3 Shreddie Wheat for breakfast each day ?  ;)  I've dropped mine twice and struggled to pick the bike up again ... it's a heavy beast.

Both times I dropped mine were when doing a U-turn.  The 1st time was on a slight uphill incline.  As the bike came around I put out my leg on the down hill side and then realised that the ground on the down hill side was further away as I felt the bike begin to fall over.  Fortunately one of the locals mowing his lawn helped me pick it up  :)

The 2nd time was when was practicing the tighest turn I could do after the above event ... it was enevitable how I would find out  :-[  There was no one around to help me pick it up the bike and I nearly put my back out lifting the bike up  :o

Fortunately I had fitted R&G crash bungs by the 2nd time so no damage to the bike ... phew  After the first time I to got a small scratch to the engine cover and a broken front brake lever ... I was lucky  :D

There are techniques for picking up a fallen motorcycle, even if one happens to be a puny person :D . In principle, everybody should be able to raise a fallen bike; here's some YT links:

How To Pick Up A Fallen Motorcycle and How to pick up a motorcycle

While taking my license, we learned some of these useful ways of taking care of that :)

Simmsy

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:25:14 PM »
There are techniques for picking up a fallen motorcycle, even if one happens to be a puny person :D
I eat 3 Shreedie Wheat everyday but it's done no good to me ... lol  ;D

The videos are good  ;)

I used the 1st technique shown in the 1st video, but the advice given by the guy at 1:23 ... "Using the proper technique, pushing with your legs, not trying to lift with your back" is invaluable.  I squatted down next to the bike, and the base of my spine was pushing against the seat.  Even though I used my legs I had the force of nearly 1/4 ton of bike going through the base of my spine into my legs ... it wasn't until the next morning when I tried to get out of bed that it &^%*@ hurt  :o

I hope never to need to have to try the other techniques  :-\

dspedersen

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
Actually, there's another way of lifting a bike, than those shown in the videos. Let me see if I can explain it in an understandable English... Instead of doing a squat with the bike on your back, you turn around with the front against the bike, standing on the site where the handlebars are. Then squat down, using your legs as well, keeping your back straight, grab hold of the handle closest to the ground, see if you can turn the handle away from the bike. Next, you simply use the handlebar as a lever as to lift up the bike. Did that make sense? Also, all the other stuff also applies for this method as well, i.e. flip out the kick stand, etc. However, I'm not sure you could lift a Gold Wing in this manner.

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
I always find losing control on a bend, locking the back wheel up under braking and ending up in a cornfield, on your side, gives a big shot of bike lifting adrenaline so you can have it back on it's wheels before your mates turn round and come back and laugh about it once they realise you're OK..

Dazman76

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
^and that's why they nicknamed you the harvester I suppose ;)

Taz

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
^and that's why they nicknamed you the harvester I suppose ;)

It sure was  ;D and never to be forgotten  8)

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
Yup. ::) The missus asked me why my leathers were all muddy, I said we'd been sat about on a grass verge, so as not to worry her, then accidentally left myself signed into the forum where everyone was discussing what a prat I was for ending up in a field.. You live, you learn...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:02:33 PM by ajacko »

adsteventon

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »
I think I was in such a rage at dropping it that picking it up felt like nothing... ADRENALINE is your friend! I just used the grab handle and the handlebars, although I am 6ft 4" and weigh 15stone.

There are techniques for picking up a fallen motorcycle, even if one happens to be a puny person :D . In principle, everybody should be able to raise a fallen bike; here's some YT links:

While taking my license, we learned some of these useful ways of taking care of that :)

I once saw a guy who must have weighed no more that 10stone pick up a vfr800 with some clever technique, so it can be done by almost anyone  with the correct application of force!