Author Topic: Knee down action!  (Read 6936 times)

adsteventon

Knee down action!
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
Some knee down roundabout action on about the only smooth road in/near Portsmouth.. the rest are littered with pot holes and ruts as a bit of a hangover from last winter. The roundabout had good visibility so i'm happy to give it a go here. Most of the roads around here are narrow and sketchy at best for this kind of thing (I live pretty much on the A32 Loomies Cafe road) and usually rammed with plod!! Some may think i'm an idiot but I needed to get it out of my system, I think i'll save it for track days now once I can afford them!!  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08JfdskpScU

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Re: Knee down action!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
Knee down on a GSXF? No thanks.. I'll save that for the Kawasaki.. :)
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

SlinkyBiker

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »

Good Stuff  ;D, Sometimes you cant help it to do it on the road. It has to be done! LOL

Bike doesn't matter, as long as it leans it will be done! LOL

Tracks are really best place to get it done, Get professional images too.

Mates camera, No quality haha (Honda CBF500)

Taz

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 03:00:02 AM »
Well done chap, good video................do not worry what Jacko says, he only thinks sports bike riders can get their knee down LOL

johnny

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »
Well done.  :)

adsteventon

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »
It was fun to do, I must get a better quality vid!

spesh1967

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
what roundabout is that? i live near pompey too

adsteventon

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
It's the roundabout at Southwick (near Wickham) on the B2177. It's the other side of portsdown hill coming from pompey (hill wih the ugly radar on top) Best done at a weekend as the Hampshire constabulary do motorcycle training in the week during normal working hours.

what roundabout is that? i live near pompey too

Didnt know there was another Gsxf rider in these parts? I've been all over and never seen another down here. Everyone seems to have repsol fireblades from farnham honda... they're so popular you'd think they were giving them away at petrol stations!!  ;D

spesh1967

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
i know it now have you had your reg/rec recall done yet?

adsteventon

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
i know it now have you had your reg/rec recall done yet?

Had mine in after the battery randomly died one day and they said it wasn't on the recall list?? No problems since that day luckily although i'm still a bit weary.

Dazman76

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
that knee down looks good not sure i have the bottle to lean mine that far over :-\

Simmsy

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
Sometimes you cant help it to do it on the road. It has to be done!
On the one occasion when I got my knee down it was a necessity to make it around the corner.  :o

I totally misjudged the corner and approached it out of position and at the wrong speed.  I remember seeing a crash barrier in front of me ... there was no run-off area ... and thinking @&*%  ???

As the bike went down further ... and around the corner ... it was a bit like sitting in a window seat of a plane during a steep turn.

The experience taught me to be more observant and not to be distracted ... wondering what's for tea ... or rather where I'll be having tea  :D

Simmsy

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »
What about getting a head down  ???  See video below at 0:21
www.youtube.com/v/Dq-OMUwg2Gw
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:28:22 PM by Simmsy »

johnny

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 05:13:04 AM »
How brilliant was that !  ;D

PeterGSX

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Well done, adsteventon. Can't see myself doing it nor the reason to do it, too :))

The second vid, Simmsy, has already been commemorated on Facebook :))

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
In my experience, road riders who concentrate on getting their knee down are thinking so much about that, they c0ck up their line through the corner.  I'm more of a classic Mick Grant style (only slow). ;D

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
Yeah, knee down doesn't mean faster.. On one of the last sessions at the recent Donington trackday that myself and Jason attended I got stuck behind a bloke scraping his knee on every corner, slowing down to stick his knee out, concentrating on getting it on the ground, forcing me to slow down at apexes, a right pain in the arse.. Eventually i'd had enough and I passed him round the outside, with my knee nowhere near the ground..

I've had my knee down, it looks cool, but unless you're Casey Stoner that's about it, it doesn't necessarily mean you going fast..
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:33:07 PM by ajacko »
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

PeterGSX

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Yeah, knee down doesn't mean faster.. On one of the last sessions at the recent Donington trackday that myself and Jason attended I got stuck behind a bloke scraping his knee on every corner, slowing down to stick his knee out, concentrating on getting it on the ground, forcing me to slow down at apexes, a right pain in the arse.. Eventually i'd had enough and I passed him round the outside, with my knee nowhere near the ground..

Love it!  ::)

SlinkyBiker

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
Yeah, knee down doesn't mean faster.. On one of the last sessions at the recent Donington trackday that myself and Jason attended I got stuck behind a bloke scraping his knee on every corner, slowing down to stick his knee out, concentrating on getting it on the ground, forcing me to slow down at apexes, a right pain in the arse.......

Not the same for everyone, but those blokes are pain in the 4r53!