Author Topic: Coolant overflowing/ boiling  (Read 986 times)

murraycr

Coolant overflowing/ boiling
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
Hi folks,

Just joined the forum having bought a 2012 gsx650f at the end of July. It's already got around 2000 miles on the clock and yesterday developed what seems to be a major fault.

I use the bike for commuting and had been on a 120 miles round trip along the motorway without any hassle. I was parked up for about an hour and a half before jumping back on for the 7 mile ride home through typical rush hour traffic. About 5 miles into the journey I noticed some steam rising from the steering column and assumed it to be some water that had made it onto the downpipes or someat.

Waiting in line at the lights, next thing is I'm engulfed in steam which turns out to be coolant (the blue sh!t) which looked as though it was coming out of the radiator. I'm doubtful that its a stone chip as it came on gradually. A stone chip hole in the radiator core would have been a constant trickle, right? I limped the bike home and parked it up, giving it a good clean to get all the coolant off. It had sprayed all over the inside of the fairing, up onto the tank, clocks and inside of the windscreen. This morning when I went back to it there was no sign of any continued leaking. I limped the bike to the garage this morning for them to have a look. About 2 miles into the journey the same thing happened. It seemed to be when the radiator fan kicked in. It's as if the coolant's boiling over and overflowing. I checked the reservoir when it was parked at home and it seemed to still be within the upper limit of the reservoir despite having (apparently) lost quite a bit of fluid.

Sorry for writing war and peace but I'm keen not to have the garage pass it off as a stone chip and fleece me for a repair that could be covered by warranty.

Anyone experience the same or similar issues? And can anyone identify what it might be?

Cheers,

Murray

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
Re: Coolant overflowing/ boiling
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »
Check the fan(s) can be turned by hand. If they can, check the fan fuse as it may be blown.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester

murraycr

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
Have established whats caused it.

The bike was involved in a minor collision (scratches up the right hand side fairing panel from colliding with the bumper of a car that pulled out in front of me). It seems that the impact has compressed the fairing and impacted onto the side of the radiator, causing it to kink. The fan has then been buffing against the radiator. Over time this has cut through the cores, leaking all the coolant. So new radiator and fan required...

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
This had me stumped, I thought it might have been a loose pipe, that would only give when the pressure rose as you describe.. However, the impact you describe would have been useful to know in the opening post.. :thumbsup: Anyway, pleased it's sorted, let us know how much the radiator costs.. Wouldn't it be covered by the car drivers insurance if he/she was at fault?
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

murraycr

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »