Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 1580 times)

jimbob

Brakes
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
Just fitted new EBC HH pads all round on the bike and gotta say very impressed with the first use of them which was a gentle ride to slowly bed them in. Feel so much more responsive already.  :headbang: :thumbsup: :icon_thumright: :nod: :blob3:

Took the old pads out and not sure if they are the original ones from when the bike was sold with them having the calliper branding on the back of the pads??

Anyone shed any light?

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
Yep they are the original had the same markings on mine when I first changed them out of interest how many miles did you get out of them as I think my front lot got ruined very quickly because of the stop/start London traffic
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

jimbob

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:37:06 AM »
They have been in for 20k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why i was wondering if they were originals!

Ive done 4k on them and they are useless compared to the EBC ones i just fitted

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
20k christ I killed off my original set before 7k just goes to show how hard town riding is on the bike

Sirzookee

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 0
  • Southend-on-Sea
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
I managed to get about 11500miles out of mine in 2 1/2 years, that did include alot of touring miles though.  They had quite a bit of meat on them, they were just useless at stopping!  I cleaned all the calipers out, changed pads for Goldfren HH pads and changed the brake fluid (because it looked like the dealer hadn't at 2yrs  :cussing: ) and it was like night and day!  Proper stopping power at last!  Still on the original rears as far as I know.

Next time the fluid is due to be done i think i'll put braided lines on it aswell.

Merry Christmas too  :nod:

chris
2010 GSX650F L0
1994 FZR600 Genesis R.I.P.
1993 FZR400RR
1990 FZR250RR
1989 FZR250RR

jimbob

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »
Yeah i changed the lines to HEL ones and new fluid a few month back and just got around to doing the pads and after first ride its like a complete new bike now!!

Feels like it will stop when i want it too. The old ones were terrifying at times!!

lk20

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
Now that I have my service manual courtesy of PaterAnt I'm going to upgrade the brake pads and have a few questions.

I'm looking at getting EBC pads as they seem to impress, however there are standard pads (£15.31) and the sintered pads (£21.58). It suggests that sintered pads increase wear on the disk, have any of you noticed this? But the standard pads also claim to brake as well as sintered pads but are the cheaper option. In people's opinion is this a well founded claim?

One final one, I haven't checked the wear on the pads yet, but is it usually a good idea to change both front a rear wheel pads at the same time like tyres?

The info and prices I'm quoting on here was sourced from www.brake4u.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Luke.

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »
Ive used the ebc HH since my first change and the discs havent suffered anymore than if I had used the oem pads you dont need to change front and back at the same time just make sure that if you are changing them at different times then dont have sintered on the back and standard on the front as this is supposed to create a brake imbalance and when you do change the pads give the pistons a quick clean

lk20

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »
Thanks

black shadow

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:15:58 AM »
Just got some EBC HH pads for front and rear hope to fit soon,anybody use copper grease on back of pads or is it not needed nowdays?.

jimbob

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
I always apply a small amount of copper grease. Had no issues with mine since fitted them and done about 500 miles on them since.