Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 1287 times)

Apache57

Brakes
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
Hi, first post on forum. I've got a 2008 GSX650F.
I've just changed my brake pads after finding my old ones a bit low and my rear brake not feeling right, feels spongy. The front brakes felt ok before, they're even better now but the rear brakes doesn't feel any better. I thought that bleeding the rear brake might clear it up but after having a stupid accident with the brake fluid and needing to get another set of pads to be safe, they still don't feel right to me. Even if I virtually stand on the foot peddle it only slows me down there is no real stopping power!
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 11:49:00 AM by Apache57 »

metaxaman

Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
Hi,
Have you had the pistons out of the caliper and checked them?  They may be corroded which will cause them to stick in the bore of the caliper. You might get away with cleaning them with emery paper and reusing the existing seals if they aren't perished.
If they are okay, it might be the hose that needs replacing, but that wouldn't cause such a poor braking force.
To be honest, the rear brake isn't that cracking on lots of bikes, as you would tend to do 70/80% of braking with the front. You should still be able to lock the rear wheel up when stamping on the pedal. :icon_salut:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:48:11 PM by metaxaman »

Apache57

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply. No not had the pistons out of the caliper that should be my next job I suppose. I think your right about the front brakes just thought the rear should be better.
Thanks again.   :cheesy:

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
Under emergency stop situations, your rear wheel is close to airborne.  An inefficient rear brake is probably better than a locked and sliding rear wheel in my opinion.  You keep better control.

genman

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »
are you using a pump to bleed the brakes.?...even a large syringe works well.
has the rear master been checked...had to rebuild a few in the past when the seals wore.
has the rear disc been de-glazed...when using an ineffective brake the pads polish the disc rather than biting it.