Author Topic: Poor Rear Brake....  (Read 1955 times)

ClydeR

Poor Rear Brake....
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »
Hi guy's, I have just taken off my rear caliper to give it a clean and remove all of the $hit that had gathered there over the winter. No problems there...however when I rebuilt it I bent the silver coloured tin retaining plate  :cussing:

My problem now that I've managed to kind of straighten the plate and rebuilt the brakes is that the rear brake is pants...it wont lock the wheel and the pedal's almost touching the floor.

When I cleaned the piston I made sure not to "pop" it beyond the seals, so in theory no air should be in the system and I shouldn't have to bleed it, or should I? I can't see any reason as to why the brakes went this way...any advice appreciated  :BangHead: thanks.

David

Re: Poor Rear Brake....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
When you pushed the piston back in did you smear it with some brake fluid?
If not then the extra friction could have cause the seal to get snagged.

Make sure you dont go in dry....
 :headbang:

It might be worth bleeding it, if only a little to see if there is any air in the line - it should still be near the caliper

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
Ah, a graduate of the Homer Simpson school of motorcycle mechanics whose motto is: if it isn't broke, try and break it.
Remove it all again, check everything and rebuild, then bleed the brake. I take it that you have the manual and you know what you are messing with...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester

ClydeR

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, all nice and wet with fluid before going back in, the seals fine. Bled it through, no air in the system....but still a crap brake.

@ PeterAnt, that's the problem I do know what I'm doing, two bolts, a slide pin and a single pot caliper,...what can go wrong? I was looking for a quick fix, to maybe a peculiar Tokico problem. Looks like I'll have to man-up and go do some fault finding of my own....and take the long route around. :sad5:

Cheers, The Dibble  :evil:

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
When was the last time you changed the pads? Is the linkage correctly set for the pedal?
My name isn't Peter.  :cussing:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester

David

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »
Is it possible to get air trapped inside the caliper?
Such that it couldnt be bled out?

PaterAnt

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »
Is it possible to get air trapped inside the caliper?
Such that it couldnt be bled out?

No, that's why the bleed nipple is at the top.
Worcester

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
You don't want the rear brake to be too efficient, too easy to lock on the road.  Having said that, there shouldn't be excessive pedal travel.

ClydeR

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
All sorted now  :icon_cheers: I had to rebuild the master cylinder with a nice wee kit from Wemoto... :thumbsup: Thanks for the replies.

PaterAnt

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »
Well done!

Worcester