Author Topic: Cleaning up the Boards..  (Read 7758 times)

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Cleaning up the Boards..
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
First of all many thanks to IanG for keeping an eye on the place and spam zapping in my absence, I've met Ian and it's in good hands..

The modern GSXF has been around for over 5 years now in one form or another and I think this forum needs a shot in the arm.. Folk find this place through searches etc. join, then don't hang around because nothing much happens, there's no reason to keep returning and this is a shame.. There's a wealth of experience and knowledge held by the members on here, new and old and I think this deserves to be shared, it's the reason I stepped in to save the site last year.

As many of you know I now own a Vstrom, the UK Vstrom site is heaving, leave it 2 days and there are 99+ new posts to read, the members are 96% UK based, the Vstrom has been around for 10 years, so why haven't we got even half the activity that site has? The GSXF itself attracts a similar kind of rider to the Vstrom, the commuter/tourer who want to have some fun come the weekend, so this site has potential..

Over the coming weeks I'm (liaising with Ian) going to start trimming down the hefty amount of boards and child boards we have, there is simply no need for them and they clutter the front end up and overcomplicate the posting options.. Who needs a Vietnam introductions section on a UK based motorcycle forum? We're not all going to pack a tent and hop on a boat one sunny Saturday morning for a meet in Saigon are we? A general New Members section will suffice, you can say where you're from in your post.. And if two riders from Vietnam want to get together they can start a Vietnam based site, and I bet they don't put an England child board in their new members section..

The Accessories and Parts child boards will be going too, the search function works, I'm not sure we need specific child boards for a 12v socket or mirror extenders, a general category will do just fine.

Any thoughts on the any of above would be appreciated..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:31:17 PM by ajacko »
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

David

Re: Cleaning up the Boards..
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »
A couple of suggestions to the layout.

Forum
Announcements
New Members

Bike Related
GSXF Discussions - bits that don't fit anywhere else
Workshop - technical Q and A   
Ride-outs and Meets
Track Days
Accessories / Bike Upgrades
Tips and Tricks

For Sale/Wanted
Bikes for Sale
For Sale
Wanted

Non Bike
General Chat - Lounge / anything
Help Me – Non bike
Fun Stuff
Feedback and Suggestions

dont need farewells. News feed seems the same as Announcements?. The accessories child forum could be merged with the workshop? I would suggest keeping it and see how active it is
Seeing as their is only one other person to keep and eye on the forums whilst your away, might I suggest a moderator or two to keep the spam at bay???

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Cleaning up the Boards..
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
Thanks for the input, that would be much cleaner wouldn't it..

If it gets too much for Ian we can look at mods.. For now though we don't have the traffic..

TAZ

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:32:19 AM »
just put it back to how it was on day one except add a section for the 1250 lads/lasses, which is what David has basically suggested

it worked fine then as was easy to navigate round the topics.

as long as the search function works there sould be no problems

David

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
with the Workshop it may be an idea to have two, one for the 650's and another for the 1250s

TAZ

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »
Less is More  :icon_thumright:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Cleaning up the Boards..
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »
Yes.

Wasted_ace

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »
More meet ups and rides should be encouraged..people switch on they see folks riding around and doing shit and they like..they see a site that talks nuts and bolts all day they switch off  :icon_salut:

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Ok, we've been making things cleaner..

Do we need the year specific child boards in the events section? What about the child boards in 'pics and vids' and the 'Workshop'?

Thoughts.