Author Topic: Engine Cuts Out...  (Read 1637 times)

Szymon

Engine Cuts Out...
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »
Hi folks,

Had to drop out of a ride-out today because my bike has developed an odd problem.  I come to a stop at say a set of lights, with the bike perfectly upright and the clutch fully depressed...and then the engine cuts out, and refuses to turn on again.  Doesn't even turn over, just says "check".  Battery voltage is fine, but it won't even start to turn over.  I then leave it for a few minutes...and it starts again and works just fine.  Am positive it's electrical not mechanical - the bike runs very well otherwise.

I've seen exactly the same behaviour from the bike once before after the bike had been on its side - it refuses to start, but for a much shorter period of time (tens of seconds not a few minutes).  I've also seen exactly the same symptoms when I have the side-stand down, the clutch out and the bike in gear -- it refuses to turn over and says "check", although in that instance when I realise what I've done wrong I just knock it out of gear or put the side stand up or pull the clutch in, and it starts fine.

I've looked at the clutch sensor, the side stand sensor and the TO sensor, and all seem fine - no loose connections, seem to function OK.  Just in case, have used a bit of switch-cleaner on the contacts.  Bike is currently working OK, can't replicate the symptoms at will, but am dreading it happening again.  This time I pulled out of a ride-out (arrrgh), but if it happens when I'm in a rush to get to work I'll be even more upset.

Any thoughts?

-simon
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:23:20 PM by Szymon »

Szymon

Re: Engine Cuts Out...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
Update:

Bypassed all of the switches one by one, and nothing, ignition still wouldn't kick in.  In frustration, I kicked the tyre, then turned the key -- and the ignition came on!  So I got to thinking about what could be loose, and remembered the alarm/immobiliser.  When the bike was new, I fitted one of these:

http://www.motorbikealarm.co.uk/shop/advanced-v3-motorbike-alarm-and-immobiliser-system/

but to make sure I don't invalidate the Suzuki warranty, I used the stupid "cut-free" push clips that came with it.  And sure enough, the clip that connected the immobiliser to the ignition had come loose - the alarm was sending the "start" signal but the bike wasn't getting it.

Five minutes and a bit of soldering later, the bike now starts on the button every time and I can make it to work tomorrow :-)

-simon

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Engine Cust Out...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
The 'chec' usually points to the sidestand switch. Also, the TO sensor may have prevented it from starting after it had been on its side, throwing up the 'chec'.. Also, if it went down on the left side could the clutch sensor have been damaged?

I'd suspect a faulty sidestand sensor switch to start with, get hold of a new from your local dealer, they shouldn't cost much, might even fit it for you if you ask nicely.. Then see if it happens again.. :)
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Engine Cust Out...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »
Ahhh, update, ok, an aftermarket alarm eh? By far the best way to add more electrical hair tearing without actually providing anything worthwhile. Bike electrics are complex, and temperamental enough without adding another layer that takes control of them. I never have alarms fitted, and will even be put off buying a bike if one is fitted.. PITA!

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »
I'm probably a bit complacent living in the SW but I think alarms are the biggest load of sh1t you can add to a bike.  A bystander seeing someone pushing a bike away with the alarm screaming thinks "I wish he'd shut that thing up".  They then take no action.  What we need instead of an alarm is a collapsible Rottweiler that we could pull out of our pockets and tie its lead to the bike.  Then, when we come back, we fold up the dog, put it in our pocket and ride off in peace. ::)  Dreaming again.

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Engine Cuts Out...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
I wonder if there'd be an insurance discount for that?

Any security sir?

Yes, a Thatcham approved collapsible Rottweiler..

Szymon

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
The main reason I went for this particular alarm was the long distance RF remote.  The bike bleeps, sure (or not - I can set it on silent if I want) -- but more importantly, the key fob beeps loud enough to wake me up.  I travel a lot, and the range of the remote is usually enough to reach from wherever I park to bike to my room.  Some extra piece of mind, that I'll wake up and can go take a look if something does happen.  It's only actually woken me twice - one time when an old lady slowly drove into the parked bike (it was in a car parking space and she didn't see it - although luckily enough it was a gentle tap on the registration number, the bike didn't even go over), and once when a bunch of kids sat on the bike (the hotel concierge came out and saw them running away from it).

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
Engine Cuts Out...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:20 PM »
Little feckers! A remote unit under the seat just connected straight to the battery could do that though, it doesn't have to be wired in and take over, that's where problems start.. If something like that were available, that remotely let you know that it detected movement, but wasn't an immobiliser, I'd consider fitting one..

chrisongsx

• GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
Hmmm.  Redundant Rottweiler. :la:

Szymon

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
A remote unit under the seat just connected straight to the battery could do that though, it doesn't have to be wired in and take over, that's where problems start..

Actually I might just disable the immobiliser part if I get any more trouble with it (although now it's soldered in properly it "should" be fine...).