Author Topic: Running in a new bike.  (Read 1305 times)

DTS

Running in a new bike.
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:03:09 PM »
Hi Everyone

I've put about 560 miles on since I picked the bike up at the dealers, new.  It's going in for it's first service this week. I've clocked those miles up pretty quick; couple of trips to the lakes, couple of days commuting and that pretty much did it. I kept the revs below or on 6,000 rpm (with the exception of a couple of times when I had to get out the way on the motorway and a couple of mishaps with the clutch!).

Since 500 miles I've been winding it up a bit (nothing major 7000 - 7,500 rpm), just to play with the acceleration.

I was on bikes for a few years about 20 years ago. I guess I fit the born-again image very well. Back then people were always saying they were run-in in the factory(?).

How delicate are these bikes when they're new? Can you ride like it's a bike, but with an air of cation, or do you have to think about miss daisy on pillion?

Does anyone have any comments???

Cheers
 :violent1:

Dave R

Re: Running in a new bike.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:52:13 AM »
your be up to 9000rpm after first service ( 600 miles) if thats not fast enough for you thrash the nuts off it, you would have changed it before it blows the engine  :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

or just run it in per book up to 1000 miles and have the peace of mind to know its been run in correctly  :headbang:

Debbie

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:13:28 PM »
All I can say is all the bikes I have had new I've done the first 600 miles at half revs, that is half of the revs to where the red line starts, and then taken them up around 10-10500 to 1000 miles, and then a free hand thereafter. None of my bikes appear to have suffered for this treatment. I have had from new the following: SV650, SV1000s, VFR800, GSXR750, Z1000, so a mixture of the three main engine types there.
Did not get the GSXF new, I'm a little tired of running in engines!!  :sleepy2:

GordonW

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
It sounds like you've treated your bike nice enough so far, I reckon it'll be in good order now.

If the truth be known, all motors need to be run in but 600 miles at half revs really is playing it safe. Most of the high spots in the mating surfaces will have been flattened off within the first few miles, maybe as few as 50 miles in fact. The remaining 'bedding in' will occur over quite some time.
After the first service, let the bike accelerate for a few seconds, from low revs (2000) up to quite high revs (9000) and then back off the throttle and allow the bike to slow down. Run through this cycle a few times. Note: Don't twist the throttle open quickly, open it gradually all the way up to full throttle as the revs increase.

Hope that helps.

derekcon

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
Don't forget to make sure everything has warmed up properly before you thrash it  :headbang:

Dave R

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:23:05 PM »
Well there is no point running it in as per the manual  :nono:

what do they know  :dontknow:

they only designed and built the engine and they are only Suzuki fully qualified engineers  :icon_scratch: