Author Topic: Putting my bike in the garage for winter  (Read 1334 times)

Speedy

Putting my bike in the garage for winter
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm putting my bike in the brother in laws garage for winter as i've decided its not really worth risking this crappy cold and slippy weather. 
Is it worth getting her out for the odd ride on a good ish day to keep her ticking over or will she be ok over the winter.
Thoughts please.   Can't wait for the   :icon_sunny:

Smelster

Re: Putting my bike in the garage for winter
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
should be ok I`d say so long as its nice n dry in there, if you want to cover it I`d suggest a bed sheet (mainly to keep the dust off etc), nothing plastic etc or you may get some condensation.

I`ve pretty much done the same thing now, the weathers turned way too crap, but I suffer from withdrawel symptoms, so any half decent day (so long as its not raining) and I`ll be out :)

lachico

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13:49 PM »
Keep the battery fully charged especially if alarm fitted.  Batteries last longer if they are kept fully charged.  Optimate are one of the best chargers, I keep mine on all the time in winter.

dave r

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »
I would let your insurance company know where the bike is going to be parked as its not your home address  :thumbsup:

Speedy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I would let your insurance company know where the bike is going to be parked as its not your home address  :thumbsup:

Yeah i'm just hoping the cheeky sods don't charge me some sort of 'admin' fee!! :violent1:

nessie

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
Looks more and more like mines will be getting parked up soon as well,always go out and start her up tho at least once a week to keep her ticking over.

dave r

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »
Looks more and more like mines will be getting parked up soon as well,always go out and start her up tho at least once a week to keep her ticking over.

thats not a good idea unless you are letting the engine run for at least 15 mins to put the charge back in the battery you used to start it, all your do is make the battery flat, better to take the battery off and charge every now and again unless you have a plug in charger to leave it on trickle charge in garage  :icon_thumright:

Zebedee

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »
I've got an optimate which I rotate weekly between a couple of car batterys which I take off my 20+ year old Fiesta XR2's over the winter. I'm a bit worried about removing the battery from the bike because its modern and full of electronics (unlike an old Fiesta) and I'm concerned that month without the battery connected might "damage" something, anyone got any thoughtd on this?

dave r

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 06:31:26 AM »
and I'm concerned that month without the battery connected might "damage" something, anyone got any thoughtd on this?

the battery was only fitted to the bike just before you collected it, so bike will not be damaged in anyway by not having battery fitted ( if you read the storage section in your owners manual it says to remove the battery and store in a room above freezing)  :thumbsup:

lachico

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »
Keep an eye on things if you are running the engine too long without riding, it can overheat the bike and discolour exhaust pipes.