Author Topic: Touring in Scotland  (Read 1903 times)

old git

Touring in Scotland
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
For 17 years self and wife have had a holiday in car on Barra, The Uists and Harris - using the Calmac Ferry services from Oban.
I want to plan a bike trip (just me - wife not into bikes) later this year and wonder if any Scottish owners  (or any other part of the country) has experience of biking around the islands or using the island ferries.

Having been on Calmac Oban/Barra Ferry in rough seas (5 hour journey)- I am a bit concerned at potential for bike damage on the car deck.

Any comment welcomed.
Ta muchly
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:17:13 PM by old git »

nessie

Re: Touring in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »
No expert on the ferries im afraid and depending on your route,dates and if im free from work commitments could make the last leg from Glasgow to Oban if you felt like some company might even tempt Jeni along as well  :thumbsup:

Jeni4

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »
Old git,

My partner and I (on the bikes) and my dad (in the car) went to Fort William, Skye and Drumnadrochit from 21st to 25th Sept last year.  For photos, sight seeing ideas and B&B's feel free to look at the links below as it's sort of a diary account of our trip.  I have to say that the weather was not great to put it midly lol but we had a great time.

I'd deffo be up for a ride out so just give me a shout nearer the time  :thumbsup:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=375086

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=370571

dave r

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
Good write up Jeni in MCN :icon_thumright:

so you need all the panniers  :icon_scratch: how many pairs of shoes did you take  :laughing7:

Jeni4

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »
Cheers Dave - Not like you to be handing out the praise  :laughing7:  I only had the 4 pairs (and yes, all were used!!) biking boots, cat boots, 'dress' shoes and trainers  :thefinger:  I won't mention the stuff I had to put in the car, but to be fair we were soaking from the moment we left and had to change quite a bit... that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it!!  :la:

dave r

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

Jason

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »
Great read  :thumbsup:

nessie

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
Well done Jeni good wee account of yer trip there,sounds as if you had a blast  :headbang:

Jeni4

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »

Yep exactly Dave - just makes life a whole lot easier  :thumbsup:.  Plus it means I could take all the security stuff and chuck it in the boot without using up valuable luggage space on the bike  :laughing7:

Jeni4

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
Jason/Nessie - cheers guys.  The holiday was fab, ok so it was pissing down etc, but it was a great laugh and that's all ye can ask for  :thumbsup:

old git

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 06:36:36 PM »
Thanks Jeni - always try to stop off at the Green Welly - masses of bikes on a good day.
I really like travelling the road from Tarbet to Oban via Inverary - particulalrly the bit by Rest and Be Thankful. If I lived up that way I think a regular sunday rise would be Glasgow area - Tarbet, Inverary, Loch Awe,  turn right to Green Welly and back down Loch Lomond.

The road down Glenn Coe is just fantastic.

Will let you know if I firm up on a trip in May probably - and  will be trying to get one or two friends to join me on the trip.
Also found looking at White Rose Tours interesting - but would make own arrangements as they are a bit pricey.

Jeni4

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »
No worries old git.  Just a thought - If your looking for people to ride up with, get in touch with Maxie from the motorcycle news website as she arranges a tour from down south and meets up with us in Glasgow. She is currently looking at 21st to the 28th May.   Check out the details here http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=380991  :thumbsup:

old git

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
Jeni - will do and thanks.

dave r

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
Jeni - will do and thanks.

and if you are dropping by Wales on your way up

:downtown: http://gsx650f.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=692.0