Author Topic: HID/Standard Headlights  (Read 2770 times)

granteee

HID/Standard Headlights
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »
Guys

I've read a few articles about legality of HID etc and am looking to improve the SHOCKING standard Low Beam and High Beam lights on my bike.  8)
IF HID are out, what's the best bulb to fit?
I want a crisp white (not blue at all) light instead of the horrible yellowy dim light that is there at present. Obviously manufacturers CLAIM 110-130% more light and extra yardage on there specific bulbs, but can anyone please give me some unbiased feedback on the best of 'the best'?
Oh, I'm still not against HID, just because a piece of paper says they're illegal. Like others say, as long as I'm not blinding oncoming vehicles, what's the harm? (Apart from electrocution) so any stories and or pics there would be good to!

Cheers

Oh PS Is a H4 bulb the same as a HB4? I'm guessing not  :dontknow:

Skip

Re: HID/Standard Headlights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
I had HIDs on my last bike, TBH they're a pain to fit properly but do give a very good light and it will pass the MOT. But not legal and if not well adjusted will annoy other road users also potentially land you in trouble with the old bill.

The usual favourite direct replacement would be Osram Night breakers, not tried them myself but will when I get around to it.

granteee

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
Cheers Skip

Will a garage adjust for me to make sure they don't dazzle if they think it MIGHT be an MOT fail???
Or is there a way to adjust yourself to ensure no dazzling??

wolfie

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 2
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
Nightbreakers worked for me on my previous bike.  :thumbsup:
Power to the People.

Skip

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
I would urge you not to go for HIDs, but if you do here's how to get it right. With the bike in stock form find a wall or garage door and put it on the centre stand about 3-4 feet away facing the headlight at it. Make sure you have plenty of room to work on the bike as you must leave it there until you've completed the conversion.

Now turn on the ignition and then mark on the wall wete the horizontal beam from the light falls.

Do the conversion and adjust the headlight to meet the mark you made on the wall. DO NOT MOVE THE BIKE once you marked the wall.

granteee

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:51 PM »
Cheers Skip  :thumbsup:

Sounds reasonable enough. I'm not sold on the HID kit. As long as I can get clean crisp white light, and at a decent distance, with normal H7s and HB4s, I'll just be going for the much easier, leagaler (just made that new word) and cheaper option! That's the Fifer in me going for the cheaper option  :nod:

Anyone out there got before & after photos of standard v Nightbreaker or Philips ExtremeVision?

Lampie

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Blue GSX
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:23:29 PM »
I'm from Holland, and we don't have MOT for motorbikes, we like to ceep it that way...;-)
I am running HID Xenon 6000K from the first week I've owned the bike. (Oktober 2008)
I only replaced the bulb once... ant it was my fault it broke.
Only one time I got signals from trafic...  but that was when my wife was sitting behind me, so the light was pointing up.

It is quite simpel to fit it in our GSX650 or 1250.
But always know what you are doing, you're working with 2300Volts !!!
All you need is a drill and solder equipment.
This is how I dit this on more than one GSX...

You buy a H7 Xenon bulb , and a 35Watt balast,   color 5000K or 6000K will do the job. 55W is overkill.
Take out the cap and the lowbeam halogen bulb, remove the wires+connector from the inside of the cap (keep it under the seat with a halogen H7 bulb.... just in case of....)
Drill 4 holes in the cap,just big enough for the wires,different diameters, not for the connectors.
Split the 4 wires from the rubber , that comes with the Xenon bulb.throw the rubber away.
From the 12Volt wires, cut off the  2 AMP connectors.
From the Xenon bulb cut the Hi-voltage wires, but not equel !!  cut one wire near the bulb, and the other wire near the connector.
Put the wire through the drilled hole, strip the wire, put a piece of heatshrinking insulation on the long wire, solder them back together and appy the heatshrinking tube over the soldered wire.
Repeat for the other wire.
You should have one 'repaired cut' on each side of the cap. this way no Hi-voltage-short (sparking) can happen
Now the 12V... easy, put both wires through the other 2 holes, connect a small 'female' AMP connector to the positive and a normal male AMP to the negative wire.

On the mount of the headlight you find 4 Philips head screws, take the upper left, there you can mount the balast.

Connect the wires and you will have Xenon light in the GSX headlight.

Don't bother to do the same with the highbeam... you won't use it anymore, and Xenon takes about 15 seconds to power up to full brightness.

Now you know why the call me Lampie   :bulb:

just ajust the beam a little bit down, so you will not blind oncoming trafic

Edit : Buy 2 LED T10 for the pilotlights...  @ Halfords or www.lightinthebox.com
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:26:39 PM by Lampie »
126900km Sold

granteee

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »
Excellent Lampie

Thanks for that  :)

I'll be looking into this when I get back home!