Author Topic: gearbox whine  (Read 1079 times)

lazysteve

gearbox whine
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
Hi all,
I recently bought a two year old GSX1250FA with 4K on the clock, fully serviced by Suzuki dealer. It's in an excellent condition overall and I don't think it's had a particularly hard life.

I've noticed that there is a whine coming from the engine/gearbox which goes up and down with engine speed irrelevant of the gear I'm in - it's noticeable under power and almost disappears if I close the throttle. It's not unbearable - I have the stock exhaust fitted, so that and the engine are pretty quiet so I'm not sure if I'm just hearing the loudest thing. Above 40MPH road and wind noise take over and I don't hear the whine although I assume it's still there.

I'm guessing this is possibly the drive off the crank/clutch or balance shaft - just like to know if this is normal for this model before contact the dealer who will almost certainly say it's normal...

thanks in advance,
Steve

Lampie

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Blue GSX
Re: gearbox whine
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
Hi, good choice a 1250

I have my 650 over 8 years now, and what doesn'n change is the sounds the gearbox makes.
It's cluncky, and whines...  just learn to live with it.

(my bike = 119250km young !)
126900km Sold

lazysteve

Re: gearbox whine
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the reply...good to hear your gsx is going so well. I've listen to a couple of YouTube posts with people riding the model and I have and can hear the same noise mine has, so I guess as you say, this is a feature. I can now sleep more easily!
Cheers,
Steve.