Author Topic: Picking up my new 1250FA  (Read 4505 times)

DoubleS

Picking up my new 1250FA
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:38 AM »
Off to millennium Motorcycles this morning to pick up my brand new bike.  Black with the 3 piece luggage.  Have a 200 mile round trip o please let it stay dry.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Skip

Re: Picking up my new 1250FA
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
Congratulations  :icon_cheers: it's a nice feeling having a new band new bike,  trouble is its addictive   ;D  Sounds like it's the same as mine save the colour,   definitely the best all round everyday bike I've owned and unbeatable value. Enjoy.

Peterjh

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »
Happy new bike  :thumbsup:
The Blue ones are the fastest !

DoubleS

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »
Thanks, well after a 110 mile ride home with a pillion im going to need to carry out some mods  Wind noise is unacceptable and with the top box there is hardly sny room on the seats. I realise its not a R1200 but it fels like a toy its so small!!!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Thanks, well after a 110 mile ride home with a pillion im going to need to carry out some mods  Wind noise is unacceptable and with the top box there is hardly any room on the seats. I realise its not a R1200 but it feels like a toy its so small!!!

Unfortunately you are quite correct. We decided after just over four years, that it is not a bike designed for two...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester

jwoolgar

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 12:57:35 PM »
Yes I think that PaterAnt is right. I too have changed to a more pillion friendly bike. However, we did do many two-up miles on the 1250 and so long as we stopped every hour for a leg stretch my wife was okay. When she has lost interest in riding as pillion i reckon I will go back to the 1250, as Skip says, it is the best VFM allround bike. It did help that we had the Givi rack/fitting for the topbox which I believe positioned it a couple of inches further back , than the stock which gave just enough room. There is plenty of comment on this forum about wind noise and fitting a different screen so I wont rabbit on about that.
CB175, GSX250, CBX550, GPZ550, GSX750, GPZ900.  GSX650FK9 , GSX1250FA. Ducati Multistrada 1200

bigcheese1077

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:36:41 AM »
I admit the gsx1250fa isnt comgortable for two people, especially for long rides but it is one of the best 1250's on the market for the price. The power is there when you need it and for one person it is unreal. I love my1 new gsx, i wouldnt change it for anything.

Antonio266

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:09:06 AM »
I don't know guys and girls... had many many passengers over the years and no one ever complained of sitting position or space between driver and top box... I used to have a back support thing for the passenger but they didn't like it. It could be a matter of passenger's height and weight...

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »
Never trust a skinny chef (or biker)...

When did you meet Twiggy then Antonio?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester

Andy P

• GSXF Learner
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 01:54:52 PM »
I hope you enjoy the bike doubleS,
I must agree with folk here about 2 up and the wind noise, as my pillion complains after about 45 min and Once you pick up speed the noise is bloody annoying.

DoubleS

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 05:44:56 AM »
Been awày tp sorrento for lasst week  went back our on thr bike yesterday and it felt more comfortable, maybe we have got used to it, but nit sure i would like to go two up to Spain on it tbh 

Biker1250

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 08:21:51 PM »
Welcome! Glad you chose the 1250 - great value tourer. Yes not the biggest but that means you can throw it around a bit like a sports bike ......and the power....vrooooom! Maybe a bit windy but I recon it's fairly clean air and not too buffety. Ride it like you stole it when going solo if you like - the bike is a scorcher! :headbang:

DoubleS

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 08:17:37 PM »
I have fitted the mra screen with deflector which is better but still when on the motorway it can feel like my head is bbeing ripped off. I have replaced the standard rack from my fiancée's GSX 650F so the top box is slightly further back.  These givi boxes also take more weight to boot. Will get some barkbusters and heated grips to see if they make a difference

Biker1250

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
I have fitted the mra screen with deflector which is better but still when on the motorway it can feel like my head is bbeing ripped off.
Interesting about the wind at speed. I have a standard screen. Today on my ride I did a bit of moving about, leaning forward and back. I discovered the air flow has a quiet spot - for me it's leaning nearly fully back and sat quite upright. Just slightly forward and back from this point and the turbulence is quite noticeable. I found I could ride more comfortably at high speed in this 'neutral' zone. I presume it is midway between helmet and chest buffeting zones. A natural instinct to dodge the wind is to lean forward but on the 1250 it seems higher is better. I am 6' and have the seat on it's highest setting. Try it guys, you might be surprised how an inch either way can help hit the right spot! I will say that a helmet can make a big difference - my cheapo lid blows my head about but my Shoei XR1100 is much smoother and quieter, particularly with the visor in locked position.

mikegr1

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
i got my 1250 a week ago, done around 300 miles on it so far, and noticed that the standard screen is quite low, don't like the look of the touring screens, so will look for a double bubble one, (had them on my R1, ZX6R, and other sports bikes.

I'm only 5.7" so have the seat on the low setting (feet on the ground) i get buffeted around so a different screen is needed. but the bike is a good one, easy to ride slow when needed and will also go round bends well.

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:22 AM »
i got my 1250 a week ago, done around 300 miles on it so far, and noticed that the standard screen is quite low, don't like the look of the touring screens, so will look for a double bubble one, (had them on my R1, ZX6R, and other sports bikes.

I'm only 5.7" so have the seat on the low setting (feet on the ground) i get buffeted around so a different screen is needed. but the bike is a good one, easy to ride slow when needed and will also go round bends well.

Its not just the screen that affects the buffeting its also the way you sit and your lid as well, I had a good combination with my RST Cobra lid and the double bubble screen but after I got a shoulder injury which changed my sitting position and I also changed my lid to a Shark S900c I found the original screen worked better for me, if you were closer to me then you could have popped over and tried my double bubble screen on your bike before you committed to getting one and finding out if it did/didn't work for you
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

Biker1250

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
Very true, we usually don't know if purchases are any good until after we have spent our money! Sometimes if you are very careful you can return the item as unsuitable. I did that with a cruiser screen from M&P but I do have the advantage of living down the road, so no postal charges!

mikegr1

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 10:46:24 AM »

Its not just the screen that affects the buffeting its also the way you sit and your lid as well, I had a good combination with my RST Cobra lid and the double bubble screen but after I got a shoulder injury which changed my sitting position and I also changed my lid to a Shark S900c I found the original screen worked better for me, if you were closer to me then you could have popped over and tried my double bubble screen on your bike before you committed to getting one and finding out if it did/didn't work for you

I use a Shoei GT Air, great lid..

Its is a pity i am quite far away