Author Topic: I'm baffled!  (Read 2733 times)

Biker1250

I'm baffled!
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
Installed a Delkevic exhaust on my bike shortly after I bought it and have run it with no baffle for 4k miles, mainly because I like people to hear me coming for safety reasons. However after reading yesterday that performance may be better with the baffle in, I screwed it in the end today and went for a ride. Blimey, it was soooo much smoother. Could get past 4k rpm in 1st without it complaining and the torque just seemed better in all gears. Obviously the backpressure was optimised by Delkevic with the baffle in. Shame about losing a decibel or so but with such a difference in performance I think it's baffle in from now on for me! I would be interested to hear if anyone else with an aftermarket can has done the comparison test.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 07:37:00 PM by Biker1250 »

chrislloydie

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 1
Re: I'm baffled!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:29:34 PM »
I also have a delkevic fitted to my 650. I run it without the baffle. I will refit the baffle and see if I notice any differences and report back here.

Biker1250

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »
I also have a delkevic fitted to my 650. I run it without the baffle. I will refit the baffle and see if I notice any differences and report back here.
Cheers! Will await your report with interest.

chrislloydie

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 1
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »
Refitted the baffle this evening. So hopefully if it's dry tomorrow I'll use the bike for my 120 mile commute and see what difference refitting the baffle has made.

Biker1250

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »
Refitted the baffle this evening. So hopefully if it's dry tomorrow I'll use the bike for my 120 mile commute and see what difference refitting the baffle has made.
Wow 120 miles! That should be a good test  :occasion14:

chrislloydie

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 1
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
Okay so refitted and rode to work yesterday. First gear is still a little jerky when crawling in slow moving traffic. 2nd definitely better and third gear much smoother and no jerkiness when slow riding. Seems to idle a bit better as well, a little smoother. Didn't make much difference to the sound so I'll definitely be leaving my baffle in from now on.

I am gonna do a throttle balance as soon as I get round to it though cos I wanna see if it reduces the jerkiness even further.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:02:01 PM by chrislloydie »

Biker1250

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »
Okay so refitted and rode to work yesterday. First gear is still a little jerky when crawling in slow moving traffic. 2nd definitely better and third gear much smoother and no jerkiness when slow riding. Seems to idle a bit better as well, a little smoother. Didn't make much difference to the sound so I'll definitely be leaving my baffle in from now on.

I am gonna do a throttle balance as soon as I get round to it though cos I wanna see if it reduces the jerkiness even further.
Interesting findings!  :icon_thumright: I thought I'd do one last test today and ride with the baffle out just to confirm my findings,except...the baffle hex screw won't budge and in fact the head is now stripped so my baffle is staying put too! Good thing I say as performance is better. Hope you get your jerkiness sorted. A friend of mine added an X-Tre which apparently smoothed throttle response out magically, but are a bit fiddly to fit. Maybe your throttle balance will do the trick.  :occasion14:

Mickyc

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
Hi.. I to have a delkavic end can on my 650f..iv not noticed any diference.in performance.. i bought it  to get rid of the "rocket launcher" that suzuki call a silencer...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gsx1250faz

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 1
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
Interesting subject. I am looking at Delkevich. On my last 650 I kept cutting the baffle down until i got a nice sound. It ended up being an inch long..

Out of interest which cans have you put on.

Biker1250

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »

Out of interest which cans have you put on.

Stubby 350mm Oval Stainless Steel Silencer on mine:

I'm running with the baffle out again at the moment! Slightly louder and deeper.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:31:11 PM by Biker1250 »

gsx1250faz

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 1
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
Thanks. Certainly smarter than original

Mickyc

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »
I had a delkevic on my 650f..but sold that bike and bought a 1250fa.and stuck the delkevic on that...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mickyc

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »