Author Topic: Quick shifter  (Read 1868 times)

Dazmox

Quick shifter
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »
Hi you all, I'm new on here. I have a GSX 650 F. I fitted an HM superlite quick shifter to my bike and had to return it. If you wae ragging it hard in the higher gears the quick shifter would change no problem, at lower speeds it would not shift up with loads of pressure on the gear lever. It made the top of my foot sore for days. I have ridden friends bikes like the Triumph Daytona with a factory fitted quick shifter, they change just like clutchless up shift with rolling off the throttle. Maybe I had a faulty sensor as I had it on the most sensitive setting but still no joy. I have also been warned about lots of pressure on the gear change lever as this will cause the gear change forks to break, anyone fitted one and had any joy with it? Thanks.

sjrainsford

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 2
Re: Quick shifter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »
Could you alter the engine cut timings, as you can on some quick shifters?  Also what signal were you using to cut the engine revs?

Biker1250

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »
Perhaps the bike is not designed for that type of activity. I have had a Bandit 650 and now 1250FA and have found both very quick and smooth to change gears throughout the rev range. The GSX is a brilliant bike but if sports riding is required, don't expect miracles!  ;)

Dazmox

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I don't know what signal the HM quick shifter uses, you couldn't alter the timings on it either. I know they're not a sports bike but the quick shifter when it worked was awesome, so smooth, if you come out of a bend and want to pin it while still hung off it just gave you less things to worry about. A quick flick up and the gear lever and you were off. Thanks again for the reply.

sjrainsford

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 2
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:36:51 AM »
I can only compare in that my bike is a 1250.  But I'd have said mine is begging for a quick shifter as the gear change is so smooth on the up change so long as you back off the throttle, otherwise the gears won't want to move.  It sounds like the quick shifter wasn't giving the correct rev cut to enable smooth shifting.  The gears should snick into place easily.  Unless of course the 650 gearbox isn't as smooth as the 1250, but some how I doubt it.  Suzuki aren't exactly known for crap gearboxes.

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
  Unless of course the 650 gearbox isn't as smooth as the 1250, but some how I doubt it.  Suzuki aren't exactly known for crap gearboxes.

The 650 is a sleeved down version of the 1250 there are a couple of changes like no oil cooler on the 650 and smaller engine mounts as the torque isn't as great but all in its basically the same, it does sound as if the cut timings where out as the gearbox does change smoothly when the chain tension is set up properly
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

sjrainsford

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 2
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »
If a quick shifter is what you want, then I'd go for one that is more programmable.  Then you can choose how long it cuts the throttle for.  It needs to be long enough to remove the load from the gears to enable them to shift, normally quick enough to remove forward load and only just add reverse loading.

anthonyp

• GSXF Learner
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
I have the healtech on my gsx650f and its amazing even works on the downshifts