Author Topic: Magneto /generator cover replacement / respray  (Read 4533 times)

TristanC

Magneto /generator cover replacement / respray
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

Since my "F"'s stand decided to flick up and lay the bike down, I need to repair it.
(my fault really for not ensuring the stand was fully out I guess :( )

I've sorted the clutch lever, 5 minute job, indicator is on order.

So I just need to get the fairing sorted eventually and the magneto cover. (Cover next to the gear shifter)

Not too worried about the fairing at this stage as the scratch is hardly noticable and the fairing is easy to remove and get to my mate's paint shop.

Now, the main question is that magneto cover thing. What's lurking behind there? - Any oil? Anyone know the procedure for removing it? - I'm either going to get it rubbed down and sprayed, or replace it.

Or is it best to leave it on there, cover the bike, rub down and give it a dusting with alloy wheel paint?

The scratches are light, not deep, so it should cover up nicely.

Anyway, if you have any ideas on getting that cover off or any other ideas, give me a shout.

ta
Tris

old git

Re: Magneto /generator cover replacement / respray
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
This diagram might give you a bit more info - I would guess that you would need to drain oil before taking off and replacing.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/49/Year/2008/ModelID/8044/Model/GSX650F/GroupID/382616/Group/CRANKCASE_COVER_

TristanC

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I'm guessing you'd need to drain oil too. - But if the magneto (generator) is behind there, would there be oil ?

I really don't know. Hope someone will know.

Otherwise, I'll get a sticker off ebay and stick it on there instead! Lol :thumbsup:

Tris

old git

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
Sorry - your talking to the top amteur here - but maybe the gasket is to prevent water getting in.
Hope you get some sense from someone else.
I recall some threads on black "carbon" covers on this forum - might be worth taking a look.

TristanC

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:59:08 PM »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I found a link to these engine case covers from one of the other threads:

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Suzuki/GSX650F/2008/ECC0010BK.aspx

It's just what I need.... but a bit expensive! Lol

Cheers,

Tris

dave r

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »
do not know if these would cover your damage ?

:downtown: http://gsx650f.me.uk/forum/index.php?topic=660.0

dave r

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
there is no oil behind the cover

:downtown: " Remove the signal generator cover by removing the five bolts holding it in place.  If you're careful in peeling the gasket off, you'll be able to reuse it (once) with a coating of Suzuki Bond gasket sealer"

make sure you have some sealant to hand, its to keep the dust and crap out  :icon_thumright:

TristanC

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »

John

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
I don't want to appear pedantic, (so I'm going to be), there is no magneto on the bike. A magneto is an early way of providing the ignition spark, still used on some piston engined aircraft, (or was 30 years ago). The term 'generator' isn't used much nowadays either, outside of major electricity generation, they are now called alternators and work in a slightly different way so that the voltage is steadier. And it's no longer called an accumulator either, it's a battery. :icon_salut:
It's O.K. though, I'm a crap mechanic.

TristanC

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
Lol, I agree. I know it's really the alternator.

However, on all the diagrams for this part of the bike, they refer to it as the magneto cover. (see link to schematic above)

Weird one though.

Tris

old git

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »
Maybe still called Magneto in US etc.

TristanC

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
Maybe still called Magneto in US etc.

Yup, that makes sense

John

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:11:26 AM »
Bugger me, so they do. I've been trying to rack my brains to remember how a magneto works, but I learnt that in 1968 and haven't used it since. Although I do remember that the Beaver had twin magnetos, (most aircraft do), and they were connected to the 9 cylinder radial engine with vernier couplings. Said engine, (Pratt & Whitney Wasp), was supercharged, had a machine gun interuptor and produced 465 HP. Amazing the shite you remember innit.

dave r

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »
Lol, I agree. I know it's really the alternator.

However, on all the diagrams for this part of the bike, they refer to it as the magneto cover. (see link to schematic above)

Weird one though.

Tris

Suzuki still call it a generator  :laughing7: