Author Topic: gsx 1250 problems  (Read 972 times)

sambo

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 0
gsx 1250 problems
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
 I purchased my 2014  gsx 1250 second hand with 1500 miles about 9 months ago its now done just over 4000 miles it was off the road for 2 weeks having the camshaft re call done,  about 3 months later the cooling fan rubbed a hole through the radiator costing me over £200 to have it repaired, about a month ago after changing a head light bulb the bike refused to start suspect problem with the ECU this has been sent away to Holland to be tested and as to whether it can be repaired ,A new ECU will cost over £700.  Suzuki are not interested in helping in any way. There is a limit to the time and money that I am prepared to put into the bike, No matter what I do its going to cost big time .
 I am starting to feel despondent and if the ECU cannot be repaired I am  having thoughts of breaking the bike up for parts in order to at least recover some of my money. Sorry if this sounds like a moan I am just saying as it is.

sambo

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 0
Re: gsx 1250 problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »
 An update on my bike is that my ECU did have a fault and was able to be repaired at reasonable cost I priced up a new ECU and it would have been about £900 with the VAT so you can understand why I was feeling a bit down.  I feel that I have had all my bad luck all at once and should now be able to have a few trouble free years, In spite of my bit of bad luck I really like the bike, its one of the best bikes that I have ever owned I like the gutsy engine and the smooth gearbox in fact I cant think of much more I would want from a bike, I have already  done a trip to Spain , the bike seems like it was in its element on long trips and it was great , all being well its going on a trip to Italy early next year.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:26:55 PM by sambo »

Biker1250

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:28:25 PM »
You have been unlucky! Still, fingers crossed, you will have a great bike for many many more miles. I love the 1250 too. My only slight niggle is the gears could be a bit taller. I am considering putting a 40 tooth sprocket on the rear. Apart from this. The power and bike in general is spot on.

Still Learning

• GSXF Racer
  • Popularity Vote 3
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:04:07 AM »
Mate you have truly been unlucky with what is generally known as a truly reliable brand and bike

I honestly think you should stick to the repair as you will lose more money getting rid of the bike in its current state. I am hopeful and confident that this is the worst of it all.

You may have to consider keeping the bike for a few years to soften the financial blow.

I have had a GSX650F for 4 years now and currently considering a Vstrom650 for my 130 mile return commute. If not for my need for an upright bike i would have upgraded to the 1250FA which from all account is a superb all rounder.

Hang in there.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Life passes most people by while they are making grand plans for it.

Honda CBF125
Suzuki GSX650F

gsx1250faz

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 1
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
|That was bad luck. 1250 is a reliable workhorse. Occasionally a bad part springs up . In europe this summer i did aroud 250 miles a day each on two trips. One to spain portugal and the other to the dolomites. Bike performed superb. And at half the price of the accompanying 1200RTs

sambo

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:19:44 PM »
 After having the problem with the bike not starting it turned out to be a very minor fault,the cap that fits over the test plug behind the rear of the seat had some how detached itself, and the wire inside of the cap that is needed to bridge the plug in order for the electrics to do their job
was no longer there,  I at first thought the ECU was at fault and sent to supposed experts to be checked out they said it was at fault and needed repair they then proceeded to repair the ECU,the bike still giving problems was taken to a Suzuki dealer who said the ECU had been wrecked and could not now be used and probably never had any fault  , I was lucky enough to find a second hand ECU that is now working fine.
 At the end of this saga the result is that my bike is now running as it should be.

wolfie

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 2
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:08:31 AM »
Good to hear. Hope you have good times on it. :thumbsup:
Power to the People.