Author Topic: How long does fuel last, do I need to add fuel stabiliser or not?  (Read 1496 times)

LJHall

Hi all

I wont call myself a summer only rider, but on the other not too keen on riding around on a road covered in salt,grit.
Was going to ride next day , as no salt on road after the storms, but now they are chucking the stuff down tonight , my bike may be sitting for a while, as I do shift work, the days its sitting unused pile up with noticing.
So with that in mind should I add fuel stabiliser, to be on the safe side, how long will the fuel keep before causing problems mechanical and other problems without adding fuel stabiliser?
Things Ive read are pretty varied from a month to even six months plus.
With shifts and other plans it has been sitting for around two weeks already give day here or there.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Lee

Skip

Re: How long does fuel last, do I need to add fuel stabiliser or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
When i know mine is going to be sitting for any length of time I try to make sure it's got a full tank of fuel,  it's only ever a couple of weeks though. I'd say use some fuel stabiliser for anything more than a month to be on the safe side,  but that's not based on any hard evidence so hopefully some one who's more knowledgeable will impart their wisdom.

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
If its going to be less than 3 months I wouldn't bother I have left mine sitting under cover on the road with a full tank of fresh fuel over winter and have never had trouble with it once I start to use it again, I do take the battery out and keep it warm inside and give it a quick a charge just before I start riding again,  I have done this since I bought the bike in 2009
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

LJHall

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice :occasion14:
Another quick one, any advice on minimising or completely preventing condensation on bike in garage and on bike?
I have heard that some people use green house heaters underneath or next to bike, looking at pictures of them, they look ideal.
Has anyone else tried this?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:46:44 PM by LJHall »

PaterAnt

• ************************ "A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right." - - - John Teller - - SAMCRO - - ************************
  • GSXF Master
  • Popularity Vote 23
  • INQUISITOR...
    • The Worcester Oratory
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:04:57 PM »
Put the chest freezer and the beer fridge in the garage with the bike. Keeps it warm enough to stop the condensation.  :occasion14:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. 1973-2009: several Piaggio (mainly Vespa) scooters (oldest 1957 reg); 2009-11: 2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie; 03/11 to 12/15: GSX1250FA ST.
Worcester