Author Topic: Rusty Rear Sprocket...?  (Read 3529 times)

GSX650_F

Rusty Rear Sprocket...?
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
Morning All,

As the title suggests - Rusty Rear Sprockets. I have a 2009 '59 plate 650F and the rear sprocket looks like it dates back to the 40's. The bike has done 6500 miles in 5 months odd and yes its been used through the winter - but it has been cleaned on a regular basis. Anyone else experienced this?

Here's a pic:

Not sure whether to contact the dealer to see I can get it changed under warranty? It makes the rear end look unsightly!!!  :bootyshake: I've seen much older gsx650f's and the rear sprocket looks like new...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Mark

Jason

Re: Rusty Rear Sprocket...?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »
I sprayed mine matt black

Jeni4

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:14 AM »
Jings, that's pretty bad.  Mine has started to turn into a polka dot lol with darker coloured spots appearing all over and no amount of WD40 or metal cleaner will shift it even though the chain is spotless.  Wonder if its going to become a common fault...?

old git

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
Yeah - looks bad .
I have 59 plate and although have only done about 3,000 mostly dry - still have signs of the same.

GSX650_F

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
A friend of mine had a K6 Bandit 650 & after 25,000 miles it was still fine...? I may have a chat with the dealer anyway to see what can be done through the warranty. I wonder if they fit a new sprocket you require a new chain...?? That would be a nice touch.
Put it this was if you bought a brand new Suzuki car and an obvious component deteriorated so quickly I'm sure it would be changed under warranty. Hell I've had numerous set of wheel nuts changed under warranty on vehicles due to cracking chrome covers etc...

Cheers, Mark

Jeni4

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:44 PM »
Mark, please keep us informed if its under warranty or not, as it would be handy to know.  I see your swing arm bolt (technical term!) is slightly off colour too.  Mine is a combination of dark and light silver lol                                                                                 

dave r

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

I paint mine as well, do not have the problem then  :thumbsup:

PS The other way to protect it is keep it covered in chain lub if you use the spray type
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:05:23 PM by Dave R »

dave r

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
I see your swing arm bolt (technical term!) is slightly off colour too.  Mine is a combination of dark and light silver lol                                                                                 

Jeni Do you mean the axle bolt and nut  :dontknow:

If riding in winter its worth covering nuts/bolt the brake joints and any other shiny bits in Vaseline it keeps the road crap off them and you can remove it every now and again it by using boiling water then reapply more vaseline

dave r

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:15:05 PM »
Morning All,

Not sure whether to contact the dealer to see I can get it changed under warranty? It makes the rear end look unsightly!!!  :bootyshake: I've seen much older gsx650f's and the rear sprocket looks like new...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Mark

I do not know if you will get it replaced by warranty looking at the state of your tax disk holder and your use to be shiny brake pipe connectors  :dontknow:

Jeni4

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »
I see your swing arm bolt (technical term!) is slightly off colour too.  Mine is a combination of dark and light silver lol                                                                                

Jeni Do you mean the axle bolt and nut  :dontknow:

If riding in winter its worth covering nuts/bolt the brake joints and any other shiny bits in Vaseline it keeps the road crap off them and you can remove it every now and again it by using boiling water then reapply more vaseline

Dave, they actually allow you to buy vaseline? :bootyshake:  I may try that, as I've been putting that scottoiler stuff on it to see if that helped...

dave r

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »

Dave, they actually allow you to buy vaseline? :bootyshake:  I may try that, as I've been putting that scottoiler stuff on it to see if that helped...

I have jars of the stuff  :icon_pale:  :laughing7:

I found the scottoiler oil too thin and did not stick but use the scottoiler FS365 on the rest of the bike  :icon_thumright:

Jeni4

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
Dave, no worries I'll give it a try.  Any tips on how I can get it back to near the original state tho or is it totally ruined?

dave r

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
ACF50 folks.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Not cheap, but for very good reason :thumbsup:. Just DON'T get it anywhere near your brakes..
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

Pashda

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »
PS The other way to protect it is keep it covered in chain lub if you use the spray type

Yep - works for me.

leeski09

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »

I paint mine as well, do not have the problem then  :thumbsup:

Like mine.....   why wipe away oil / lube??  keeps it pristine underneath,

Paddy_r

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »
ACF50 folks.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Not cheap, but for very good reason :thumbsup:. Just DON'T get it anywhere near your brakes..

Yep, great stuff! Use this then FS365 as well. Better safe than sorry. Also leaves a nice shine on things such as the bars, frame, rear spring etc.