Author Topic: Loose chain adjustor bolts  (Read 1536 times)

TristanC

Loose chain adjustor bolts
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
Hi all, hope you can help me.

I was washing the GSX on Saturday and noticed that the offside chain adjuster bolt was loose.

On inspection, both were loose, so I tightened them. (not overtight, jsut enough to tighten the plate back on to the swing arm.

The chain slack is perfect (1 inch) and the adjustor marks on either side of the axle are in the same position.

Is this anything to worry about? Or should I just check the tightness of these before and after setting off ?

Urgent feedback would be great as I was hoping to use her for work tomorrow!

Cheers

Tris

dave r

Re: Loose chain adjustor bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »
as long as your axle bolt is tight you should not have any problem  :icon_thumright:

it sounds like the adjusters were not tightened correctly when chain was last adjusted

hope that helps

leeski09

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »
One of mine was loose when i first got my bike.....   not a problem, as Dave says, if the axle is tight, its fine.

TristanC

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:20 AM »
Nice one lads,

This is exactly what I thought, but needed reassurance.

The axle is tight, no worries there and looks to be adjusted appropriately.

I tightened them up and all was well this morning. (45 mile ride to work!)  :icon_thumright:

I love the t'interweb.  :headbang:

Tris.

ajacko

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 16
  • Notts/Lincs border.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
Yeah, sounds like whoever adjusted the chain didn't nip the nuts up on the adjusters after torquing the axel nut, as said, not dangerous, just sloppy.
Currently run a 2012 DL650AL2 and a zx6rA1P

Wasted_ace

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
Yeah, sounds like whoever adjusted the chain didn't nip the nuts up on the adjusters after torquing the axel nut, as said, not dangerous, just sloppy.

Just count yerself lucky that you didnt have the same knob who didnt torque the bolts during my valve service..quite a sight to behold..watching the engine oil spray all over the rear wheel at 80mph on the fast lane of the M4/M32 interchange at the height of rush hour.. :icon_pale:

TristanC

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »
Just count yerself lucky that you didnt have the same knob who didnt torque the bolts during my valve service..quite a sight to behold..watching the engine oil spray all over the rear wheel at 80mph on the fast lane of the M4/M32 interchange at the height of rush hour.. :icon_pale:

I read your post mate about that "mis-hap" - totally gutting and dangerous. All down to one sloppy individual. Terrible mate.

Thankfully you're ok. - I will check your thread now for updates on what the outcome was.

Tris

dave r

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:40:18 PM »
I am new to this so I hope I do it right .but I had to mention my GSX650f has the same problem on the same side and it keeps coming loose only had the bike one month so I was going to take it back under garantee do you think I should thanks in advance From gsxfwarby

Welcome to the forum  :occasion14:

ref your adjuster............take it back for them to have a look at if dealer is not too far away otherwise put some loctight on the thread that should sort it out  :icon_thumright:

TristanC

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
I've done about 600 miles since mine was loose - and since I tightened it, it's been perfect.

As Dave R says, get some loctite on it, or better still get the dealers to look at it and tighten properly.

:icon_thumright:

Tris

gsxfwarby

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
yes thanks I will go to dealer its not far