Author Topic: Rust Prevention  (Read 2332 times)

davie150

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 0
Rust Prevention
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
Hi, I have started a new thread as the others are a few years old

I have just bought a 6 month old gsx1250  :thumbsup: and it has just reached 1700 miles and is in showroom condition, honestly apart from a small scratch on fairing it looks brand new.

I want to keep this bike for a long time, so want to take care of it, now I thought I was good at cleaning my old bike, Yamaha mt09, but when at dealers trading it in and having a close look at it, spotted little bits of rust everywhere, especially underneath. I use to clean my bike all the time and with a cloth used to cover all metallic bits with acf50 at least twice a year.

So, what do you guys do to keep your bike looking good, I know a bike is for riding and not sitting staring at,but rusty bits do not look good.

Biker1250

Re: Rust Prevention
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:22:30 PM »
I use my 1250 through the winter and ride in all but ice. I try not to ride in rain but often the roads are wet and sometimes salty. To be honest I'm not a stickler for cleaning but find with the large fairing the bike does not get very messy. I spray with WD40 around the forks, radiator and engine. I keep the chain lubed every 200 miles or so. I paint engine oil on the underside and stands with a brush. I use brake cleaner on this discs occasionally. When get home, if I get caught in a shower, I towel it dry before putting in my dry, insulated garage. I clean the grime off the swing arm and wheels with citrus degreaser from Wilkinson's ( for cycles - cheap!). I carefully wash my aftermarket exhaust with muckoff and polish the connecting pipe with a non scratch pad and oil. I use bike polish on the body work and glass cleaner on the screen and mirrors. I don't do all this regularly - just when it looks needy! My other bike, a Harley is pretty immaculate and not ridden unless the roads are dry. The GSX is my workhorse so is abused a little. That said it looks ok. The plastic fairing hides a lot! I've never been a great fan of the once over ACF50 as it leaves the bike looking dull. I prefer more often WD40 and re-apply more often. Each to their own I suppose!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:29:05 PM by Biker1250 »

davie150

• GSXF Owner
  • Popularity Vote 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
Great thanks for the response, I used wd40 a lot as well on my mt09 as it leaves a nice shine and takes a lot of crap off that the sponge seems to miss.
 I like the sound of spreading engine oil all over the underside, as that seemed to be the area that was really bad on close inspection of my mt09. I will have to try that. The left side of my centre stand was covered in oil, I assumed it was excess oil from front sprocket, maybe the previous owner had done the same

gsx1250faz

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
My 8 year old 650 was as good when i sold it as when i bought it. My new white 1250 has done 5600 miles since last june and looks very clean, even though I have not had time to give it a good once over. I dry it down if it gets wet. I do clean all the plastics, time permitting with glass cleaner. I spray silicone on the forks as wd40 is basically parafin (Petroleum distilates) and could dry the seals out. I lube the chain with chain wax every 200-250 miles. I fit a hugger to prevent muck being spread over the rear shocker, and a fenda extenda to the front mudguard to reduce the muck being spread all over the radiator. Last week I fit a stainless steel rad protector.There are many Muck Off type products on the market. Over priced hard surface cleaners.