Author Topic: GSX650F coolant liquid change. Help needed  (Read 2401 times)

mainrid

GSX650F coolant liquid change. Help needed
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »
Hello guys, I am trying to do the maintenance for the first time myself for my GSX650F. I got stuck on coolant liquid change and i am not sure how to do it properly. I tried to go as manual suggests - to disconnect the water pump outlet hose (see point 3) on the picture

,i did loosen the hose clip(rounded in red on the pic.), but the hose is sitting there so tight and there is almost no place to do anything, so i couldn't take it off. i I could have tried to take it off somehow with screwdriver and hammer, but i am not sure if i am able to put it back after that. It would be easier way to take off the hose which is going directly from radiator as on this picture:

, but i am not sure if it is proper way of doing it. Could you please suggest how you do it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:05:06 PM by mainrid »

Lampie

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Blue GSX
Re: GSX650F coolant liquid change. Help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
Remove left fairing, remove tank, remove the fillercap.
Disconnect the lower side of the hose going from the radiator to the engine, halfway is a tube in an angle.

Just let it drain

Reconnect the hose after draining, refill the system.
Reconnect the fuelsystem , start the engine, let it warm up so the thermostat opens.
Refill the system, close it with the cap, and find the expantion resevoir on the right side, under the seat.
There is a marking on it, fill the reservoir upto the marking.

Done... no manual needed
126900km Sold

mainrid

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »
Hi Lampie, thank you for your answer.

Disconnect the lower side of the hose going from the radiator to the engine, halfway is a tube in an angle.

Is it correct place to disconnect?

Lampie

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Blue GSX
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
I toke off the next clamp, that is even lower in the system.

If all fluit drained out, shake the bike , get as much old fluit out
126900km Sold

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »
Take off the lower clamp as lampie has already said but don't forget to open the pump bleed screw and let the coolant start coming out before you start the bike I normally leave the bike at idle and wait until the  fan has cycled 3 times before I let the bike cool properly and top up as necessary
GSX650F (FLO) Blue & Silver

mainrid

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »
IanG, to proceed with
don't forget to open the pump bleed screw and let the coolant start coming out
, i should remove the cover which is on top of water pump? Is there some sign which screw is the pump bleed screw? I didn't quite understand in what order should i do that. Is it during old coolant removing process to get more of it out, or it is needed after i put new coolant into?

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:12:02 AM »
IanG, to proceed with
don't forget to open the pump bleed screw and let the coolant start coming out
, i should remove the cover which is on top of water pump? Is there some sign which screw is the pump bleed screw? I didn't quite understand in what order should i do that. Is it during old coolant removing process to get more of it out, or it is needed after i put new coolant into?

The bleed screw is after you have added new coolant given the bike a quick shake squeezed the hoses added a bit more coolant and before you start the bike, its behind the plastic cover and if memory serves is top left and is the only screw in that region but I will attach a picture from my haynes manual tomorrow

mainrid

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
Would be great to see the picture. For how long should the pump bleed screw be opened after i start the bike? Could you also tell why it is needed to open the bleed screw?=)

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 08:16:31 AM »
Would be great to see the picture. For how long should the pump bleed screw be opened after i start the bike? Could you also tell why it is needed to open the bleed screw?=)

The bleed screw is circled in the below picture, it should be opened a couple of turns but not removed completely after you have put the first lot of coolant in and then should be closed when it starts to let coolant out all before you start the bike its main purpose is to make sure that there is no air in the pump to minimise any air being pushed through the engine on start up to try to ensure that you don't get an air lock in the system
I normally proceed as follows
Lift tank to be able to access pressure cap
Take of bottom hose to drain system once this has slowed slightly take the pressure cap off to allow air to flow through system wait for coolant drip to become almost nothing
Reconnect hose and add first lot of coolant to neck of pressure cap
Loosen bleed screw and wait for a small steady flow of coolant to come out, tighten bleed screw
Add more coolant and squeeze hoses I can reach to try to reduce air in system before start up
Leave pressure cap off and start bike with tank sat across frame so I can see the fluid level in the pressure cap (or have a friend with you to hold it to one side)
add coolant as the level drops when the thermostat opens let idle for a minute and watch for any further drop
once it appears coolant level is no longer dropping put pressure cap back on and then let the bike idle until the fan has come on and gone off 3 times
Let bike cool completely then remove pressure cap and top up if necessary then put pressure cap and tank back on and go for a short ride to listen and feel the engine for heat and how quickly the fan comes on

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:40:19 AM by IanG »

mainrid

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »
IanG, thank you for detailed explanation. I will try to do as you described. Having the tank connected and getting access to the pressure cap seems not the easiest thing, as there are not much room for movement. Maybe i'll have to connect the tank, start the bike, wait for some time, and then take it off and check the coolant level.

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
IanG, thank you for detailed explanation. I will try to do as you described. Having the tank connected and getting access to the pressure cap seems not the easiest thing, as there are not much room for movement. Maybe i'll have to connect the tank, start the bike, wait for some time, and then take it off and check the coolant level.

If you disconnect the breather and overflow hoses at the back right there is plenty of slack in the fuel and electric cables to allow you to turn the tank sideways and move it backwards slightly to allow access to the pressure cap and if you are that worried about anything coming from the 2 hose locations you can always tape a dangling loop of cloth under them but I have never seen anything come out of these doing this job myself

Lampie

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Blue GSX
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
IanG

is this a picture of a GSX650F  ??  can't be right

I do not have the external holder for the clutch pushrod and I have a gearpositionsensor , just above the front sprocket.
And my bike had a frontsprocket with a bigger nut, and rubber cushing to catch the cain.

Also a lot of grease... everywhere
126900km Sold

mainrid

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
If you disconnect the breather and overflow hoses at the back right there is plenty of slack in the fuel and electric cables to allow you to turn the tank sideways and move it backwards slightly to allow access to the pressure cap and if you are that worried about anything coming from the 2 hose locations you can always tape a dangling loop of cloth under them but I have never seen anything come out of these doing this job myself

Btw is it OK to start the bike for a short time while the breather and overflow hoses at the back of the tank are disconnected?

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
IanG

is this a picture of a GSX650F  ??  can't be right

I do not have the external holder for the clutch pushrod and I have a gearpositionsensor , just above the front sprocket.
And my bike had a frontsprocket with a bigger nut, and rubber cushing to catch the cain.

Also a lot of grease... everywhere

It is a bandit 650 with a couple of clutch mods, after market chain and sprockets and the gear position sensor removed I was just using it to show the pump bleed bolt

I did contemplate showing mine but its absolutely filthy with chain fling and I couldn't be bothered to degrease it to show the bolt

IanG

• Administrator
  • GSXF God
  • Popularity Vote 15
  • South London
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »

Btw is it OK to start the bike for a short time while the breather and overflow hoses at the back of the tank are disconnected?

Perfectly fine just remember to connect them back up before bolting the tank back down when you are done

Lampie

• GSXF Rider
  • Popularity Vote 4
  • Blue GSX
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »
I did contemplate showing mine but its absolutely filthy with chain fling ....

I think that's the only correct way, completely greased up !
otherwise you don't drive the bike at all
126900km Sold